Friday, November 12, 2010

Backtrack Persistent USB

I finally purchased a USB stick to carry on me at all times.  Specifically for when friends need computer help, I have my tools on me, as well as I plan on doing some contract social engineering/pen-testing work.

I was able to install a Backtrack 4 R1 on it using a persistent state basically following this tutorial:

http://www.infosecramblings.com/backtrack/backtrack-4-usbpersistent-changesnessus/

I had a hard time getting grub installed via command line on an Ubuntu box.  When booting from the USB after doing a grub-install, it would simply boot to the grub shell. To get around that, I had to use a Windows 7 VM and UNetbootin to make the first partition bootable.  Even with all of that, I cant get the menu to default boot into the persistent state option. I have changed the grub menu text, and it still boots into option 0.  I think its due to first installing grub via command line, then without re-formatting using UNetbootin.

Other additions/changes I made:

Update the system:
# apt-get update
# apt-get upgrade
# apt-get clean

Enabled networking using this command:
# update-rc.d networking default

Update metasploit:
# cd /opt/metasploit/msf3
# svn update

Things to do:
Install firesheep - Yes, it could be helpful
Install watobo - New web app pen testing application
Script to reverse shell home
Script in fat32 partition for universal reverse shell home
Add Windows debugging tools to fat32 partition - Always come in handy

1 comment:

  1. what is the difference between regular and persistent?

    ReplyDelete